Saturday, September 09, 2006

God and Ethics

Periodically, Elliot posts a link to one of the dozens of blogs he reads. To be honest, I usually ignore him.

But sometimes I follow those links. And sometimes I find that the blogger he's linked to is eminently worth reading. So I've been reading Real Live Preacher lately, and I sporadically check in on a few of the other people linked in Elliot's sidebar.

And very recently I've been reading Eve. For those who don't know, Eve is a Catholic and a lesbian who has chosen to be celibate as her way of reconciling her sexuality with her Catholicism. And I like Eve's post here enough that I think I'm going to add her to my sidebar.

Here's a excerpt (with bold added by me):

In order to figure out if something is okay to do, you can't just ask whether people who seem like good upstanding citizens (according to some culture or subculture's definition of "good"!) want to do it. I mean... I know a lot of good upstanding citizens who wouldn't bat an eye if somebody shoved bamboo sticks up Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's fingernails. Doesn't make it right to do. Culture can't be the final word on moral truth; nor can individual inclination be the final word. This actually strikes me as one of the stronger arguments that if there is a distinction between right and wrong, it requires a Creator God.

I think she's dead-on.

1 comment:

Elliot said...

LOL!

Well, I'm glad you sometimes follow the links. I don't really expect people to follow everything - I just put links to things that caught MY eye, since I'm sure it'll catch at least a few other people, depending on their interests. To each his own, so to speak.

RLP can be pretty great. I have a book of his earlier posts if you want to borrow it sometimes. And Eve's usually thought-provoking.