Thursday, September 07, 2006

First Day

Today I had my first offical day as a graduate student. Some highlights:

My American Lit. Prof: "Don't plagiarize. It's not worth it. It's not worth it. Seriously, it's not worth it. It's... it's just not worth it. You'll get caught, and it's not worth it."

My Medieval Lit. Prof (who speaks with an English accent but is from New Jersey): "You must recongnize the excerpt, so for example if on your exam there is the excerpt 'ALAS!', you will have to tell me where it is from, and who said it..."

Party for new grad. students, with free wine!

There was a debate, and I sided with a Medievalist against a Victorian.

I talked to a woman who's doing her Ph.d on "Japanese animation and cross-cultural influences". Her favourite author is Neil Gaiman. I like these people.

2 comments:

Elliot said...

You mean... geeks?

Paul said...

Yes, but a very specific KIND of geeks.