Sunday, August 06, 2006

So here's what happened...

After much soul-searching, I decided a while back not to go back to the U of M's faculty of Education. Instead, I applied to the Pre-Master's program with the intention of getting a Master's, and later a PhD in English.

It was Monday June 12th that I decided this, and the deadline for application was Thursday June 15th. My application package needed to include my academic transcripts, two letters of recommendation from previous English professors, a sample of my academic writing, as well as the completed application forms. Jan and I were leaving for a road trip on Tuesday morning. Yikes.

I searched my hard drive frantically for a suitable piece of writing. It's been three years since I was taking undergraduate English classes, and our computer has undergone some drastic internal surgery since then. I didn't have anything I was proud to attach my name to. I contemplated writing a new piece. Then it occured to me that one of my former professors, Sue Sorensen, from whom I took a class on British and Irish Literature, had liked an essay I wrote on T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland so much that she had saved it. Maybe she could forward a copy to the U of M on my behalf?

I called another of my previous English professors, Paul Dyck, and begged for a letter of reference. He told me I could pick it up from his house on Tuesday morning. So Jan and I would stop by the U of M on our way out of town, drop off the letter, pick up the application forms. I could fill them out on the road, and could fax it on Tuesday evening from Jan's parents' place in Saskatoon.

I wrote an e-mail to Sue, begging for a letter of reference from her, and begging her to forward a copy of my T.S. Eliot essay. And finally, to hedge my bets I sent an e-mail to the only other English prof I've ever had, Mark Fortier, from whom I took a class on John Milton. I wasn't even sure if he would even remember me, as I was only one student in a class of 30 four years ago, but I had very much enjoyed the class, and I figured it was worth a try.

We headed west, stopping by the Dyck household and U of M on our way. At casa de Oatway I faxed in my application and faxed U of M and CMU a request to send my transcripts and to put a rush on it. It was Tuesday night, they were due by Thursday, and they claimed it took 2-4 days. If it was 2, I would be fine. If it was 4, I would be too late.

On Wednesday we moved further west, and it was out of my hands.

When we got back in Winnipeg there was a message on my answering machine saying that the English department had received my application and all related materials except my transcripts. They would give me a few days' grace, they said.

And then I heard nothing.

According to the U of M website, graduate students needed to be registered by mid-July.

It was July and I heard nothing.

July came near its end, and still I heard nothing. No rejection letter, but no acceptance letter either.

I called the English chair and asked "Yo! What's the deal?"

They were a little behind on notifying people this year, I was informed. But when I received my acceptance letter I should call to set up an appointment.

August rolled around. Still I heard nothing.

Then, this Thursday I got a letter from the University of Manitoba informing me that I had been accepted into the pre-Master's program.

I'M IN! YAHOO!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diedre said...

Congratulations x 7 x 77 = ?

Elliot said...

Hurray for Paul!

Laura said...

Yeah for Paul!! One step closer to the plan of Paul and Laura taking over CMU!!!

Elliot said...

The Plan of Paul! I'm going to have to remember that. (There's a Gene Wolfe book that talks about The Plan of Pas... long story.)

So just when did you study with Sue Sorenson? I thought she was still at U of W when you were at CMU, and that she only moved over there recently.

Paul said...

Yeah, I took a class from her while she was at U of W.