Friday, June 23, 2006

Life Decisions

I think I may have mentioned my unhappiness with the Faculty of Education.

It's been a hard year for me—educationally. My personal life has been great, and my work this year with the youth at church has been wonderful, but school has been difficult.

The really sad thing is that I loved teaching English during my practicum (although I struggled with what I see as the watering-down of the curriculum). The part where I got to be a teacher was great. The part where I was a student was like being kicked repeatedly in the crotch. I felt actually sick to my stomach when I thought about going back.

So I'm not.

I've applied to the U of M's pre-Master's of English program. It is a one year program that will prepare me to enter a Master's program next year. When I've got my Master's degree, I'm going to get a Ph.D. After that, we'll see. Maybe by then CMU will be hiring another English prof. Maybe I'll just work as a full time youth pastor. Either way, it will be worth it.

I'm excited about school again.

5 comments:

Elliot said...

Hurray for Paul and his education!

annemarie said...

I am totally praying for this, Paul. It feels right.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Laura said...

Now we can pursue the goal of us both being on the CMU faculty! You in the English department and me in the IDS department. Ooo staff meetings will be fun!! Sadly I will be a couple years behind you as I actually have to have some experience before I can apply to my masters (bah.) but someday!!

Anonymous said...

Cool! It sounds like a good choice, Paul. Good luck! :o)

(Sometime you'll have to tell me why the UofM Ed. program is so awful!)

~
amalia