Saturday, July 15, 2006

New York Style: various attempts

For lunch on Monday I attempted a traditional New York Style pizza with pepperoni and mozzerella cheese. It was pretty good, but the crust left something to be desired. I'm getting a lot better at throwing, so it was quite uniform in thickness, and fairly thin, but it was still a bit tough, and it didn't have the big puffy ring of crust New York Style pizza is so known for.

Jan is getting sick of Pizza, so Monday dinner was baked beans and bisquits. Low effort and comforty.

Tuesday for dinner I made a potato pizza with broccoli and green onion. Thin tender crust topped with mashed potato, garlic, broccoli, green onion and mozzerella cheese. Very good.

Wednesday I attempted New York Style pizza again, this time with pepperoni bacon and pineapple. It was very tasty (although it gave Jan heartburn) and the crust was pretty good, but once again it was lacking the puffy ring crust. It ended up being more like a floppy thin-crust pizza than anything else.

For Thursday lunch we wanted tuna fish sandwiches, but had no mayonaise. So I made some. Mayonaise is quite easy to make, but considering the price of oil and vinegar and the relative price of mayonaise it pretty much costs just as much to make your own as to buy it. But if you make it yourself you know exactly what went into it, and you can do things like use balsamic vinegar instead of white (although it makes the end product light brown instead of white) and you can add basil and the mayonaise you end up with is very tasty. Which is what I did. And it was.

For Thursday dinner Jan was still sick of pizza so it was Perogies and a mixed salad with honey-dill dressing.

Friday dinner I tried New York Style crust for a third time, and this time I got it right. To begin with, I used less flour than usual. The dough was quite sticky and a little hard to work with at first, but once I started throwing it, it worked okay. Also, I rolled it out much bigger than the pan, then curled the ends in. I don't know why I didn't think of/realize this before, but of course that's how they make the puffy crust ring. So I ended up with a crust that was fluffy and puffy on the outside, then tapered off to chewy and thin, but not tough and not crispy. It was topped with barbeque sauce, chicken and pineapple, and I really think it was my best pizza yet.

Woohoo!

5 comments:

Diedre said...

Congratulations!!! Yay!

Maybe now poor Jan won't have to eat so much pizza. =)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to order a Spinach Feta Pizza please. What is you guaranteed delivery time?

Me

Jan said...

Pick-up only.

Anonymous said...

Bummer, I was hoping to trick you cuz I is writing frum Sakatoooon!

Laura said...

I was in TO this weekend and ate really good pizza at this cool place on the Harbour front. That, along with all these pizza posts have inspired me to make some yummy whole wheat pizza for dinner tomorrow night. Check my blog for how it turns out! :)