Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Pedegogical Efficiency

I am back at the university. Yay.

My first class on Tuesday was Psychology of Learning, which has been one of the better classes this year. The prof told us that he was going to be going away for a few weeks, and couldn't get anyone to replace him, so the next two classes were cancelled. Then he decided that we would be done a week earlier than the syllibus indicated. Then he let us out an hour early.

And then try to tell me that this class is even remotely useful. That what we are doing is valuable. And this is typical of the faculty of education. My second class of Tuesday remains a mystery to me. I still cannot tell you what it is about, and I cannot name a single thing I have learned.

Gah. Get me out. Make it over. I just want to teach!

1 comment:

Clemens said...

I teach at a school that m ay have the best school of education in our state. I teach in the history department and about 50% of our students intend to teach high school. How many actually do after their first taste of student teaching or the end of their first year on the job is an interesting question.

What struck me about your post is how it confirms what I see in my own students. Time after time I have seen them come into my class after an education class, viscerally angry at what they had just experienced in their education class. I would have to calm them down before we could get going on something important, like the First Crusade.

I could go on to several rants about the education industry, but none about the kids (and they almost all seem like kids to me) who want to be teachers.

Don't worry though. If it is something you want to do, you will be in the trenches soon enough.

Take care out there.