Friday, April 21, 2006

Superstore

In Jan's recent post of ten things she likes and ten things she doesn't, she mentions Superstore.

I thought I would add my voice of disapproval. Superstore is a place of pain and suffering. If Dante were writing in contemporary Winnipeg, he would base one of the circles of hell on Superstore.

Let's, just for the moment, overlook the fact that Superstore has carts three feet wide and aisles three feet-two-inches wide. Let's forgive them for having an organizing scheme which was obviously designed by someone with less that a second-grade education, on hallucinogenic drugs, while having a stroke, and being beaten around the head with a shovel—producing a store where chicken broth is found in four different places, and cocoa is found nowhere. Let's pretend that we don't mind that the staff stand in the middle of the tiny aisles with their giant carts and discuss video games, and that if you ask them where to findavocadoss they look at you with a blank expression as if you inventing words. The real unpleasantness of Superstore is that everyone there—customers and staff alike—are in a foul, confrontational, angry mood. You can't even pull into the parking lot without being honked at. People in Superstore cut each other off, scowl at each other, snap at each other, roll their eyes at each other, and I can only assume, occasionally break into actual violence. I've never witnessed Superstore violence myself, because I do everything I can to avoid setting foot there, but it seems reasonable to assume, given the general mood, that it erupts from time to time. That place is a powder-keg.

We went shopping there the other day, and once we got there we realized that the carts take a loonie, and all we had was four quarters. So I went to the service desk to ask for a loonie. She told me that the service people were naccustomedmed to providing any actual SERVICE to customers, and sent me to the greeter. The greeter stood unnecessarily close to me and told me that he didn't give change. He sent me to the service desk. The service desk woman give me my loonie, but seemed mightily annoyed by it. I walked past the greeter, loonie in hand, and he stopped me, keeping me from leaving the store to walk deep into the parking lot where the carts are kept (because why would they do anything so silly as keepicartsrts in the store?). "Do you need change?" he asked me. It took all my self restraint to keep from stabbing him in the eye, and then kicking him in the crotch while he was distracted. Less than a minute into my Superstore trip, and I was contemplating violence. And everyone knows what a pacifist I am.

10 comments:

Elliot said...

Um...

Melissa and I shop at Superstore all the time and I haven't really noticed the craziness you describe. Which one did you go to?!?

It can get annoying when it's really busy, but we just avoid those times. It's just so dang cheap. Though they don't treat their employees well.

It doesn't make me crazy like Wal-Mart does.

Jan said...

We shop the the Grant and Keneston one. Is there one closer?
I can't believe it doesn't annoy you. The layout is ridiculous, how do you find anything??

But, it's cheaper, so we go. Grudgingly.

Elliot said...

Sometimes we go to the Sargeant one, which is newer.

I dunno, I guess I've been shopping there for the past twenty years, so I just know my way around.

Anonymous said...

HA! I'm with you Paul & Jan. I hate superstore too!

There IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

When you ask an employee (wearing a stunningly fashionable neon t-shirt) a question, studies have shown that there is more then a 99.99% chance that they will not have an answer for you.

Their answers usually go something like this:

AMALIA: [bright and cheery smile] Hi! Do you know where I can find Swiss cheese?

SUPERSTORE EMPLOYEE: Uhhhhh.... [vacantly stares off into space and begins to drool]


I also agree that the layout is terrible.

When I shop there its usually to get stuff that I can't get anywhere else. Otherwise I prefer Safeway or Shoppers.

~
Amalia

Anonymous said...

Through the eyes of an employee, you are just a piece of shit that walks around that store and we simply don't care about you. So, does it really matter if you get mad at us? No. And if you don't like our stores, don't shop at our stores... it's as simple as that. Oh yes, by the way, chances are, if the employee doesn't know something, it's because they don't work in that specific department you moron! Next time you ask an employee, look at which department they're in.

Anonymous said...

Oh and don't forget that on your reciept (should you ever take anything back) your request for a refund will only "be considered" by one of their "workers". After questioning the superstore return policy with one of the less than exceptional customer service, she came at me with hand waves and gestures that I would expect only if I were to dine with Tony Soprano..just to see that I got her granie pants in a bunch, I had to further question the return policy and then invoke the "please get me a manager" approach. I am so happy I will never go in one of those attrocities again.I am all for my SPUD delivery here in BC - hope you guys over there get something like that soon...save yourself time (which is your money).

Anonymous said...

um maybe you should realize that hell is actually working there and dealing with foul angry customers all day. You get to walk in and grab your groceries and leave. Staff is stuck there for hours dealing with rude people like you all day. So maybe you should get your head out of your ass and suck it up.

Anonymous said...

Super store really sucks, Every time I go in there it gets worse. I went to the store on Keneston and my wife went in for groceries and I went to wash my car windows. I parked beside the pumps and was using to squeegee and the puck was bugging me with the speaker telling me to stop using the squeegee and it was for paying customers. I went inside to tell him that I do buy gas there but not today and he kept on with his rant and I told him that super store was a stupid f**king store. He ran out side and wanted to fight me. He was about 18 and I'm 60. I went to the sargent store the other day and was lined up 9 deep and after 30 minutes I had to abandon my cart to pick up my wife. There were still 4 in front of me, We stood in line once for an hour. If you complain to them it does nothing, Never again, life is too short for all that agro.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I tried to return a couple of items at Superstore...unfortunately I didn't have my receipt. I figured that I could get an exchange for the items (as most stores allow). Instead I was told by staff that I "probably STOLE these items since I had no proof of purchase", and I was "trying to take advantage of the store". WTF!?
Never. Shopping. There. Again.

Anonymous said...

For those of you that work at superstore and hate it that much ... QUIT ! You came to us for a job , we didn't chase you down! There are plenty of good people looking for work, so take you negative attitude and go apply at Walmart you dumb F*#cks !!!