Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Christian Art

Elliot recently implied that "Christian" fiction isn't usually very good. I want to take that a little farther.

The tendancy of almost all "Christian" art is to be... sucky. The reason for this is that most art only gets qualified as specially "Christian" if it's not good enough to stand on its own as art. Most writers of "Christian fiction" write bland, absurd or just plain lame books. And "Christian music" is just as bad. If not worse. The horrible truth is that a vast majority Christian musicians are successful in the Christian community because within that community they are big fish in small ponds. The music on "Christian" radio stations tends to be just plain bad. All too often in consists of bands playing "Worship music", which, while it is often extremely valuable as worship, falls short of music. It is the kind of thing that a group of people singing together can make very powerful as a statement of faith, and of emotional closeness to their God, but which a band playing on the radio leaves a little flat.

But there are good Christian musicians. My personal favourite these days is Pedro the Lion, who is not so much a "Christian Musician" as a musician who happens to be a Christian. His faith figures very heavily in his music, simply because it figures heavily in his life. He writes songs about God's unconditional love, about how it feels to let God down, about feeling alienated from God, about being angry with God. He also writes songs about divorce, cheating girlfriends, and why women shave their legs.

3 comments:

Elliot said...

You know, I downloaded six Pedro the Lion songs that people recommended on Emusic. And I can't stand them. I found them flat, droning and whiny. So could you please recommend me YOUR favorite Pedro songs? So many people like him that I must be missing something.

This whole Christian music/fiction thing is one of my favorite rants. I'll just say that I much prefer artists who are Christians as opposed to 'Christian artists.' These days 'Christian' usually means 'evangelical, produced in Nashville for an evangelical niche megamarket.'

In the former category, for the record, I'd recommend Sufjan Stevens, Ben Harper, Lauryn Hill, John Brown's Body, Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, and of course U2.

Paul said...

Diamond Ring, Letter From a Concerned Follower, Of Minor Prophets and Their Prostitute Wives and Secret of the Easy Yoke are all good. And the aforementioned Lullaby.

Clemens said...

You are probably right about self-consciously 'Christian' music these days. I don't listen to it. Now something like Gorecki's Third Symphony still leaves me profoundly moved. There are other forms of art. St John's Abbey in Minnesota has just received a specially commissioned illuminated Bible in English, done by one of the best caligraphers in the world, and it is simply a knockout. I long to see it in person.

And, as corny as it was, as suspect as its theology, and as kitsch as it was, I am still moved by parts of 'Jesus Christ Superstar.'(I think this comes under the heading of 'guilty pleasures')

But you are right about the stuff on the radio today.