Thursday, August 21, 2008

My library shows look like this:

Today I performed the last of the three clown shows I was hired to do for Summer Reading at the Library.

With a few variations and room for improvisation, my basic show looked like this:

I burst into the room once the kids are all settled. I nervously start to talk, then am overcome with shyness.

Then I have an idea.

From my trunk I pull a long rope, which I tie between two chairs, as a tight rope. I stand on one chair and nervously reach one foot out onto the rope .... but I am too afraid.

Then I have an idea.

I move the chairs slightly closer to one another, so that the rope is slack enough that it touches the ground when I walk on it. And I do--wobbling appropriately. The crowd cheers.

Then I tell a simplified version of Moby Dick, complete with balloon-animal white whale.

I balance a balloon on my nose.

I make a balloon elephant and tell a few elephant jokes (what did tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming over the hill? "Here come the elephants")

Then I tell the story of the three little pigs, complete with juggling-ball pigs and balloon-animal wolf.

Take a bow, and say goodbye.

1 comment:

Rei said...

I have to say, that is one of the coolest things ever. Those are some very neat skills you have.