Friday, March 02, 2007

America is getting stupider

Remember when "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" debuted, and there was a general cry of dismay that the questions were too easy? No? Maybe that was just me.

Anyway, the newest of the stupid game shows spawned by the abhomination that is Deal or No Deal (I hate Howie Mandel) is Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?

As one might expect from the title, the questions are (ostensibly) drawn from grade 1-5 textbooks in various subjects. And the contestants are apparently drawn from the bottom of a lake, where they have been held for just long enough to suffer perminant brain damage.

The biggest problem with it, really, is not even the relative easiness of the questions. The biggest problem is that in a half hour episode, the contestants answer about four questions. The rest of the time is filled with stalling, and transparently manipulative attempts to raise the level of tension.

Bah. Give me Jeopardy!

3 comments:

Laura said...

I was going to post about this but you beat me to it!! Such an AWEFUL show! And yet, I couldn't change the channel.... :)

this single spark said...

Or here in Canada, we can play Test the Nation!

Steph said...

I have only seen one full episode but I'm pretty sure they must test potential contestants to make sure they are dumb enough for the show.

It is kind of like the opposite of Jeopardy, isn't it?