Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Self Doubt

So a few weeks ago I applied to the Master's of English program at U of M.

I didn't even apply anywhere else, mainly because Jan and I want to stay at St. Margaret's for at least a few more years, and that would be hard to do if we leave Winnipeg.

Since I was accepted into the pre-master's program, it seems that my chances of being accepted into the Master's program are quite good. I mean, unless my grades last term had plummited (and they haven't, they've significantly improved) why would they reject me now?

But still I'm afraid that somehow they've found out that I'm not really smart enough to be a graduate student. So every day I anxiously check the mail, and so far there has been no response.

...

Do you think that's a bad sign? They would tell me if I was rejected, right?

6 comments:

Steph said...

Well, I don't doubt you Paul, even if you do doubt yourself. :)

Nate said...

I'll join you on the list of self-doubters. If I am accepted I think I could hang in there, but I doubt I'd be landing any huge scholarships or academic awards. Don't worry yet though, the chair of the department I applied to said they wouldn't even look at the applications until March.

Elliot said...

Didn't you have some of these same doubts about the pre-master's program? And then they let you in without any trouble? After a bunch of angst on your part?

Diedre said...

We're all rooting for you, Paul! And we'll still think you're smart no matter what happens. (what will happen = you get into grad school)

annemarie said...

if i can do it, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Well, son there are no room for doubters in the family - put that spring back in your step!!