Monday, May 01, 2006

I don't know how this happened

Jan and I have been watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

We didn't mean to. It just... happened. It all started by flipping to an Ottawa game during the commercials of... something. I don't remember what now.

I was born in Ottawa. I grew up there (for a while at least). I like Ottawa. And Ottawa was doing well. I found myself interested in the outcome of the game. When Ottawa looked like they were going to score, I was happy, and when Tampa Bay looked like they were going to score, I was sad.

Why the heck does Tampa Bay have a hockey team anyway? Nothing against Tampa, my mom is from Tampa, but seriously! They don't even have snow there!

The Senators WIPED THE FLOOR with the Lightning. It was 4 to 1. I looked up how the other Canadian teams were doing, and Montreal is also in the playoffs, and so are Edmonton and Calgary. And then I actually made a point of watching the next game. And the next one. And the next one.

Tonight I came in to a Detroit/Edmonton game in the third period, and the Oilers were down by two. It looked bad, but then the Oilers pulled it out from nowhere to come away with a 4-3 win, and moving on to the semi-finals. It was tense, and we CHEERED when the Oilers got that fourth goal.

So I'm watching hockey. And I'm rooting for Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton and Calgary. In that order. I just had to get that off my chest.

6 comments:

Chris said...

It's ok - admitting it is the first step towards healing. Sue and I (more me than Sue) have been hooked this year as well for some reason. And now Calgary is in a game 7 with Anaheim on Wednesday!

Elliot said...

What's next? Starting a collection of empty liquor bottles? ;-)

Nate said...

Don't feel bad, it's a perfectly normal thing to do, and it's even better that you're cheering for Ottawa.

Jan said...

I refuse to admit I'm a part of this.



...

Go Senators!

Chris said...

Uhm, it specifically states in the first line of the blog entry "Jan and I"

Clemens said...

Hey! It does too snow in Tampa. In the winter of '76-'77 Tampa had 1/4 inch of snow. Every roll of film in the city was sold out by 10am. People were making snowballs and putting them in their freezers as souvenirs. And the state police had to close down the interstate running through Tampa - nobody knew how to drive in all that snow! (I am NOT making this up).

My favorite memory is looking out at the grapefruit trees in the back yard - all capped with a little layer of snow.