Friday, March 31, 2006

You Just can't Jump in Puddles in Your Dress Shoes

Yesterday was a crappy day.

Weather-wise.

It was cold and rainy most of the day, and I realized that I have no suitable boots for rainy muddy weather. I had these great boots which were warm and waterproof and had good grips, and were suitable for walking in snow up to my knees and in puddles up to my shins, but they are now five or six years old, and time has begun to take it's toll. They both have holes in the sides.

It is truly sad. Not only because I now have nothing to protect my feet from cold and from water, but because they were excellent boots. I was genuinely happy every winter to bring them out and find that they were none the worse for wear. Except that now they are. I can't bring myself to throw them out.

And my running shoes are even worse. They have holes too, so that they are really no use as any kind of protection against the elements.

That leaves only my dress shoes, which I have been wearing for the last few days while I hope to find a dry path. In Winnipeg. Good luck.

The soil is made of clay, and doesn't absorb water. The city is totally flat, and once water has been collected it has no where to go. The river has a tendency to flood.

The really worst part is that if I had good boots, I have nothing against rainy weather. I would be the first person out jumping in puddles and enjoying it. But you just can't jump in puddles in your dress shoes.

No comments: